The underlying objective of following the Six Capitals is to ensure that Cashbuild focuses the appropriate degree of attention on each of these areas, taking into account the impact of each aspect on the Group's performance, as well as the impact that the Group has on its stakeholders in each area. This in turn ensures that Cashbuild maximises its opportunities for sustained financial and non-financial success in the short, medium and long term.
In the complex Southern African
environment in which Cashbuild
operates, many valuable lessons
have been learned over the
Group's history, spanning more
than 35 years. Particularly in terms
of cultural sensitivities, community
priorities, and the absolute
necessity to build lasting, open
relationships with stakeholders.
The sustainability policies and practices adopted and
implemented by the Group, of which our local managers
who have the greatest understanding of the nuances
of the communities in which their stores operate, have
proven to be one of the Group's greatest advantages,
and have significantly assisted in risk mitigation during the
establishment of Cashbuild operations in new and often
|Cashbuild's management approaches for mutually beneficial sustainability initiatives can be summarised as the following:
- Applying a 'common sense' approach.
- Direct linkage to the Group's strategic objectives (ie providing tangible benefits to both the Group and its stakeholders), or directly addressing strategic risks and/or opportunities.
- Association with reputable suppliers who share similar values and principles.
- Influencing the Group's value chain (upstream and downstream).
- Investing holistically and in line with strategic objectives, rather than on the basis of charity or philanthropy.
- Flexibility within the Group's Sustainability Model, so as to evolve as required and rapidly implement lessons learnt.
- Sensitivity to and respect for cultural nuances, particularly in communication with different stakeholder groups.
- The development of strong long-term relationships with all stakeholders and partner communities, and effective engagement
to understand their issues and concerns.
- Displaying genuine responsible corporate citizenship and influencing other organisations to do the same.